Sunday, May 11, 2008

Chemo Is Over

I had my last (hopefully, forever!) round of chemo on April 16th! WhooooHoooo! My PET scan showed I am clear! So no more prednisone, thank goodness! I hate that stuff! I am still not over it's effects!

I have to thank everyone at the UNM Cancer Center in Las Cruces! They are a wonderful bunch of people....always ready and willing to answer any question at any time.

I will still have to go in every six months for 2 years for a Retuxan treatment. It is a targeting drug. It is supposed to ensure that the cancer does not come back.

I have gained weight and am eating like a normal person again. When I started the chemo treatments I weighed 110 lbs. Now, I weigh about 130 lbs. Some of this might come off after all the drugs clear my system. The prednisone causes a lot of bloating and swelling (mostly around my middle!). I never thought I would be happy to put on weight! Now I need to get on an exercise regime.

I am going to visit my son, Geoff, in Honolulu on June 18th. I will be gone for three weeks! I plan to take some leisurely hikes and lie on the beach a lot! I think the sea water will be really good for me. We have had absolutely no rain since December here in the desert! Our humidity ranges on the average at about 5%. It will be nice to get my skin hydrated again! I am really looking forward to this trip!

I will probably post again while I am in Hawaii and will include some photos! So, until then, Aloha!

1 comment:

Linette said...

I can't believe you were 110lbs! I'm thrilled to hear that your appetite is back to normal and so excited to hear all about your visit with Geoff and lovely Hawaii!! Maybe you'll be one of those visitors who loves it so much, they never leave?!! :) The sea air and water will certainly replenish your skin and your soul :)